At least half of chapter 24, which is almost entirely new material.
Half the text isn't written but half the work is doneneeded a lot of research on the customs of Candlemas in 16th century Italy and the weather on February 2, 1566, in Ferrara. Wrote the first part of the new section and roughed in the rest.
Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Oooo, tell more! We actually celebrate Candlemas. It's a wonder we haven't burnt down the house. LOL.
Howdy! I've been on the road and too busy to do much of anything. I'm looking forward to reading this!!!
Hiya, Dani and Lisa,
Glad you had a good trip, Lisa. Dani, most of my research will be the 9/10s of the iceberg that doesn't show above water in the actual story. The storyline requires an abduction attempt against my heroine, and in order to get her out of the Castello without making her TSTL, I've got her leading the procession to the Cathedral for the blessing of the candles on Candlemas Day. Seems like a logical thing for the Duchess to do. The returning procession traditionally featured everyone carrying lighted candles, but the weather of the time was cold and rainy/snowy, so everyone's going to be fighting to keep their candles alight and the abductors are going to spring...
Heh - ain't research like that, though? I can't tell you the amount of research I did for my book that didn't make it into the MS. At one point I realized I was writing stuff just to use some of it and cut all that out. But I like to think the depth of research informed what I did keep. That's so tricky. You really have to know this stuff inside and out so that you inhabit it.
Post a Comment