Saturday, February 23, 2008

Lisa's Goals for...uh...what day is this?

M'kay. My goals, they are limited. I want to write at least four blog posts this week. I have had this blog since January 2005 and have really let it go recently (I blame my novel).

I just finished one. UPDATE: Okay, I just finished another one. Neither of these are heavy writing exercises; they are more about linking to articles that I found enjoyable/scary/informative.

Also, I have to do something about the frightening clothing pile on my papadam chair. It's scary.

Otherwise, I am waiting to get feedback from my agent (I still feel weird whenever I write that!) on the latest draft/polish of my book. I actually think it might be done this time. Or close to it.

And of course I will continue my semi-obsessive program of exercise...

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that I have decided I really must start cooking, at least a little. I love good food, and I do eat well, for the most part. But being single, being a person who likes lunch and gets home way too late for elaborate dinners...I've just never really gotten into cooking.

Well, when I was up in the Bay Area visiting Dana, I bought this very fancy enamel/cast iron panini pan at a Sonoma winery. It's good for grilling things too. I'd been meaning to get some cast iron cookware because the few times I do cook, I have these non-stick pans that are starting to make me paranoid - they are getting scratched, and I've heard that whatever it is they use to make things not stick, it's not really so good for you.

My experiment worked pretty well, I have to say. I had red snapper that I marinated in olive oil and white wine, with a little salt and fresh basil. I cooked asparagus and shitake mushrooms and onions as well. The fish stuck some to the pan but that might be because even though it's supposed to be pre-seasoned, I gather that it still takes a while for the pans to break in. Also, it's fragile fish. 

Anyway, I just bought some Lodge cast iron cookware on Amazon - made in the USA and very reasonably priced. A 10" skillet and a 5 quart Dutch Oven. The lid to the oven also fits the skillet. 

I still won't have much time to cook during the week (and I still need to get some decent cookbooks, especially Asian, because that's what I like to eat) but I am practicing for my future life as a full-time writer, doncha know! ;)

4 comments:

Dani said...

Snowing like crazy here! I'm cleaning my kitchen floor today or I'm not going to bed! Yikes. THAT is very scary. And I'm cleaning up blogs, even deleting some. I'm also doing a bunch of stuff with Story Circle Network which is why I've been so busy... they are a memoir-writing group founded by Susan Wittig Albert. So I'm going to go set up a blog for a daily diary and swearswearswear I'm posting daily for at least one year! Now there's a challenge.

Other Lisa said...

Wow!

I don't think I have daily's worth of stuff to say.

Oh, I'm also trying to cook. I don't generally do that but I really like good food. I bought this fancy iron pan and am currently marinating some red snapper in olive oil and white wine. We'll see how that goes.

And it's raining here AGAIN! In Venice, CA! Where are you?

Dani said...

High Plains of Colorado for me.... and today it was 65 degrees and everything is now standing water!

Hey, if you love to cook, you'll love this blog: http://kittbo.blogspot.com

Kitt is in Denver and is the Queen of Cookbooks. You should see some of the stuff she cooks. Spoils her "cow-orkers" as she calls them. Ha!

I met her last October during National Blog Writing Month. She was good... she still blogs daily.

I love my secret new blog diary. It's pink and pretty and nobody can see it except me.

Dana Fredsti said...

I'm gonna try and blog this week, but I still have to finish the taxes. COoking is definitely on my agenda too - it's cheaper than eating out! And all extra money...not that there's extra, butyou know what I mean...goes to Haggis's vet bills.